Table of Contents
- Ojon Restorative Hair Treatment Product Review
- Bestselling Ojon Restorative Hair Treatment in 2020
- 1. Ojon Damage Reverse Restorative Hair Treatment - For Very Dry or Damaged Hair 1.5 Oz/50ml
- 2. Ojon Damage Reverse Instant Restorative Hair Serum .5 oz
- 3. Ojon Damage Reverse Restorative Shampoo, 500 ml
- 4. Ojon Damage Reverse Now Plus Restorative Hair Treatment 1.5 Oz Sealed
- 5. T’zikal Deep Moisturizing Conditioning Cream with Ojon Oil - Small (2.5 Ounces) - Natural Paraben Free Conditioner for Women - Used as an Anti Aging Hair Treatment for Dry Damaged Hair
- 6. Ojon Damage Rare Blend Oil Moisture Therapy (45 ml)
- 7. Ojon, damage reverse thickening sparay 3.7 oz
- 8. Ojon Volume Advance Animated Volumizing Cream (For Fine, Limp, Flat Hair) - 125ml/4.2oz
- 9. Ojon Color Sustain Pro Fade Fighting Conditioner - 8.5 oz
- 10. T’zikal Deep Hydrating Shampoo with Ojon Oil - (10 Ounces) - Moisturizing, Natural Conditioning, Paraben Free Shampoo for Women - Used as a Dry Damaged Hair Treatment for Anti-Aging Hair Care
I splurged on Ojon Restorative Hair Treatment after having straightened, bleached, permed and dyed my way into a damaged hair nightmare. The Ojon Treatment is described by the company as 100 percent Ojon palm nut oil designed to improve the condition of damaged, color-treated, or processed hair without weighing it down. The hype about this intensive hair conditioner ("fortifying, rebuilding, and nourishing") led me to seek it out in my local Sephora, and after speaking with a sales associate who raved about its ability to restore friend hair, I decided to make what I thought was a worthwhile investment. I was greatly mistaken.
Much of the hype about Ojon stems from the legend behind it. "Restore your hair's natural beauty with this ancient native secret from the remote tropical forests of Central America." claims the Ojon company. It goes on to describe how for over 500 years, this secret to remarkably healthy hair has been hidden in the rare oil of the tropical Ojon tree known only to the Tawira Indians who are referred to as "the people of beautiful hair." WOW. With a whole tribe of Indians backing this product, and a history of over 500 years, it's got to be good, right? Wrong.
Ojon Restorative Hair Treatment is a conjugated oil in solidified form, with a texture that is much like a balm or pomade. As the instructions directed, I warmed a scoop full of Ojon in the palm of my hands until it liquefied. I then applied it on dry hair, working my way from scalp to ends. Since I had some household chores to do, I was able to leave it on for much longer then the minimum 10-20 minutes (I actually had it on for closer to three hours, so the deep conditioning effect should have been greatly amplified).
I then hopped in the shower and shampooed the Ojon oil out of my hair, following up with a conditioner. After towel-drying, I applied a very small amount of Ojon as a leave-in conditioner, to subdue any remaining frizziness (as the package instructed).
The results? The only promise Ojon followed through on was that it gave my hair shine. Unfortunately, that was only due to the fact that I had a veritable oil slick in my hair. If I had rubbed Vaseline into my strands, I would have had SHINE, too- but who would want a greasy, slimy mess like that in their hair? And all of the other promises that Ojon made- like renewed strength, softness, silkiness, manageability? Those qualities were nowhere to be found.
Lack of efficiency wasn't the only issue I took up with Ojon. My first gripe was with the smell of the product. The copy for the product describes it as a pleasantly earthy sandalwood smell, but everyone I know who has used it has agreed that there is nothing "pleasant" about the fragrance. The best way I can possibly describe Ojon's scent is "wet, rotten tobacco"- it's an acidic, stinging nicotine-like odor that reminds me of the taste of Nicorette. Certainly, I'm not prissy- I would gladly deal with the odd stench if the product actually worked. But Ojon Restorative Hair Treatment doesn't work. It doesn't do anything. It just….sits there, stinking and weighing hair down with a thick, greasy coat.
You might be interested to read about:
Because I am in the business of beauty, I happen to have a vast knowledge of ingredients. Whether it was forgetfulness or laziness, for some reason I didn't bother to take a look at Ojon's before purchasing. Once I had actually tried the product, I grabbed Ojon's packaging in a fit of frustration to take a look at the ingredient listing, which is as follows (with my explanation of each ingredient in parentheses) : Elaeis Oleifera (American Oil Palm), Fragrance, Lecithin(a phospholipid and emollient mainly derived from common egg yolk or soybeans), Tocopherol (Vitamin E) , Ascorbyl Palmitate (Vitamin C) , Citric Acid (Another form of Vitamin C), Serenoa Serrulata(Saw Palmetto), Prunus Africana (Pygeum Bark, also called Red Stinkwood or African Cherry).
The first thing that sticks out upon reading the ingredient list? There is not a single trace (NO, NONE AT ALL) of any rare tree oil. The main ingredient, Elaeis Oleifera is actually the common American Oil Palm, which is an amazingly ordinary plant grown throughout South and Central America for its production of palm oil. In fact, in the International section of my local grocery store, Pure American Palm Oil is sold….for 3 dollars a jar! The rest of the ingredients are benign, and not particularly beneficial in hair care applications- nor are they rare or expensive in any way.
I promptly returned my jar of Ojon to Sephora, who, luckily, has a wonderful return policy that allows you to bring back products after you've tried them and hated them. If I knew how to go about it, I would sue Ojon for false marketing to put them out of business. Not only does the product work miserably, but the marketing team behind it has misled thousands and thousands of people into forking over their hard-earned cash for a product that is nothing more then solidified American Palm Oil.
I am saddened and angry to think about those who have no knowledge of cosmetic ingredients, who are probably convinced there is something wrong with their hair when it doesn't respond to Ojon's "miracle" treatment.
Bestselling Ojon Restorative Hair Treatment Products in 2020
Ojon Damage Reverse Restorative Hair Treatment - For Very Dry or Damaged Hair 1.5 Oz/50ml
- Hair Care
- Ojon - Damage Reverse
- Damage Reverse Restorative Hair Treatment Plus (For Very Dry, Damaged Hair)
Ojon Damage Reverse Instant Restorative Hair Serum .5 oz
- Ojon Damage Reverse Instant Restorative Hair Serum
- Size : .5 oz / 15 ml (deluxe travel sample)
Ojon Damage Reverse Restorative Shampoo, 500 ml
Ojon Damage Reverse Now Plus Restorative Hair Treatment 1.5 Oz Sealed
- Now Plus lighter scent with antioxidants
- Factory Sealed
- Discontinued item no longer manufactuerer
- 50/ml1.5 oz
- Damage Reverse Restorative Hair Treatment Plus (For Very Dry, Damaged Hair)
T’zikal Deep Moisturizing Conditioning Cream with Ojon Oil - Small (2.5 Ounces) - Natural Paraben Free Conditioner for Women - Used as an Anti Aging Hair Treatment for Dry Damaged Hair
- Ojon oil is known as a natural hair conditioner, revered by the Maya of Central America for 500 years. T’zikal works with the Honduran rainforest community to extract the oil in the same sustainable way.
- T’zikal Deep Moisturizing Conditioning Cream is a paraben free conditioner, sulfate free conditioner and cruelty free conditioner. No chemicals: EDTA, artificial color, fragrance or dyes.
- Restorative Hair Treatment for All Hair Types: Ojon oil is especially known by textured hair types, including curly, wavy and coily hair types as an anti frizz hair product and conditioner for color treated hair.
- Curly Hair Deep Conditioner: This powerful hair moisturizer and conditioning repair cream is a hair breakage treatment to hydrate hair with the highest quality ingredients.
- Natural Scent Conditioner: Our fragrance blend is made of natural botanicals and essential oils in their purest form. Welcome to a new definition of beautiful scents, one that is not homogenized with chemical additives.
Ojon Damage Rare Blend Oil Moisture Therapy (45 ml)
- Size: 45ml
- Gender: Female
Ojon, damage reverse thickening sparay 3.7 oz
Ojon Volume Advance Animated Volumizing Cream (For Fine, Limp, Flat Hair) - 125ml/4.2oz
- Volume Advance Animated Volumizing Cream (For Fine, Limp, Flat Hair)
Ojon Color Sustain Pro Fade Fighting Conditioner - 8.5 oz
- Hair Care
T’zikal Deep Hydrating Shampoo with Ojon Oil - (10 Ounces) - Moisturizing, Natural Conditioning, Paraben Free Shampoo for Women - Used as a Dry Damaged Hair Treatment for Anti-Aging Hair Care
- Ojon oil: Ojon oil has been revered by the Maya of Central America for over 500 years. T’zikal works with the Honduran rainforest community to extract the oil in the same sustainable way. Ojon oil is known to restore the most dry damaged hair.
- T’zikal Deep Hydrating Shampoo is a paraben free shampoo. No chemicals: no sulfates, EDTA, artificial color, fragrance or dyes. Cruelty free shampoo.
- Restorative Formula for All Hair Types: Ojon oil is especially known and sought after ingredients by textured hair types, including curly, wavy, kinky and coily hair to replenish and keep hair healthy and shiny.
- Deeply Moisturizing Shampoo: This powerful hair moisturizer will wash away all of the excess buildup to get beautiful clean and shiny hair.
- Natural Scent Shampoo: Our fragrance blend is made of natural botanicals and essential oils in their purest form. Welcome to a new definition of beautiful scents, one that is not homogenized with chemical additives.