Table of Contents
- Canon EOS Rebel XSi a First Impression Product Review
- Bestselling Canon EOS Rebel XSi a First Impression in 2021
- 1. Canon Rebel XSi DSLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens (OLD MODEL)
- 2. Canon EOS Rebel T6 Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm EF-S f/3.5-5.6 is II Lens + 58mm Wide Angle Lens + 2X Telephoto Lens + Flash + 48GB SD Memory Card + UV Filter Kit + Tripod + Full Accessory Bundle
- 3. Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Telephoto Zoom Lens with 2X Telephoto Lens, HD Wide Angle Lens and Accessories (8 Piece Kit)
- 4. Canon 9320A023 100ES Shoulder Bag, Black
- 5. Canon Lens Hood EW-73C
The Canon EOS Rebel XSi is a great camera for the beginner digital photographer ready to step up beyond a point and shoot as well as those ready to go that extra step beyond the more basic Rebel XT and XTi.
- Ease of Use, Performance: 23/25
- Look &Feel: 23/25
- Features 24/25, How much I enjoy 23/25
- Total: 93/100
If you are a beginning photographer or amateur who wants to go beyond the simple point and shoot digital you may be ready for the new Rebel XS or XSi. The XSi is the better of the two but both the Rebel XS that just came out and the Rebel XSi are both perfect if you need a really good DSLR with all the bells and whistles.
I wanted a better digital SLR camera and have been using my sons Canon EOS Rebel XT for my product shots but his does not have the features I wanted like Live View. I knew Canon was coming out with a newer model this year and waited till I found out more about it and knew it was right for me. I needed a digital camera for my work but also wanted to use it for outdoor and nature photography so I bought the XSi and have been enjoying it just as much as my wife.
We have gone out a few times now taking nature shots at local National Wildlife Parks and learning how to use the various features and settings. Nothing beats having the Live View to see what your taking the picture of right on the LCD screen so you don't have to look through the viewfinder. The EOS Rebel XSi has all the convenient qualities of a point and shoot but all the professional settings of the more expensive Canon cameras.
If you want more in your camera and want to start in on the broader aspects of photography like depth of field and ISO adjustments the Rebel XSi will be perfect as a learning tool. Using a digital camera to learn things like what the f stops and ISO settings are will be easy and the camera is a great way to learn how to take great pictures.
I grew up in the film camera age and when digital cameras dawned it was a whole new world to photography as well as a new way to learn what all those buttons and terms mean. When learning about cameras and things like f stops, shutter speed and ISO speed it is so much easier to see what changes affect what with a digital camera.
When you learn about photography using a digital camera you can see the results immediately in the pictures and know what the actual features of your camera are. This was something that was either too expensive with the costly chemicals for processing or just not timely to do with film cameras.
Now you can see the results when you change a setting directly on a picture right after you take it without having to spend all that extra money. Digital photography is a great way to learn about the settings and how to really take good pictures and the EOS Rebel XSi is a great way to start.
If you have used a point and shoot digital camera before the XSi is a great camera for that next step in amateur to professional photography. If you have another DSLR and want to upgrade to one with all the bells and whistles but at a more affordable price the XSi is also a great buy.
The Rebel XSi has a better image sensor than the previous models with the XT at 8.2 megapixels, the XTi at 10.2 megapixels and the XSi at 12.2 megapixels. This means more pixels per picture so you have sharper and better images with the XSi using either JPEG or RAW images.
One major feature is the Live View where you can have the image the camera is seeing through the lens displayed on the LCD screen on the back of the camera. This means no looking through the view finder to take that shot but you need to be in one of the manual modes when taking the picture.
The Live View is very nice for doing all kinds of work like portraits so you can have a larger and better idea of what the picture will look like when it's taken. You can use the Live View in two modes but you have to change a few settings before using these but it only takes a minute. The manual and the Canon website has very good explanations of the settings and how to change them for setting up Live View.
With the mirror out of the way the XSi is in Live Mode and will use the image sensor to focus your image, this will take a quicker picture but with less distinct focusing functions for the auto focus. Using the Quick Mode the XSi will have to move the mirror to focus on the subject and when you actually take the picture but it uses a better and larger area to focus on so it gets a better picture.
Using either the Live Mode or Quick Mode for your Live View means a little more work with custom functions on the cameras menus. You do have the advantages of not having to peer through the viewfinder for those hard to get shots or ones with the camera on a tripod where you don't want to disturb the camera at all.
There are a few other reasons to use the live such as being able to use Grid Lines to ensure proper orientation of the camera with regards to your subject or the zoom function to check focus. The Live View mode also opens up the possibility of using a histogram which shows you a graph of light and dark for your current scene or picture. You can fine adjust your exposure using the histogram to get the perfect settings so your picture has the right balance of light and darkness.
Other main features from the other models of the EOS Rebel are the slightly larger body of the camera to give you more of a camera to work with. You also have the Image Stabilization that corrects for movement while taking pictures but this feature only works with lenses that have the feature as well.
The Canon EOS Rebel is available with and without a lens but I recommend you search around for a good combination package unless you don't want to purchase the lenses available in those packages. The package I purchased at Newegg came with the Canon 18-55mm Image Stabilizing Zoom Lens for a good first lens in my system.
My next purchase will depend upon upcoming reviews but I know I want to buy a macro lens and a longer ranging zoom lens in the near future. The Canon EOS Rebel XSi is a great camera to connect and use in conjunction with a computer using the EOS utility that comes with the camera. You should of course check on their website to download any updates and additional software you may need from Canon.
The EOS Utility works in several ways, first you can download images or view ones on the SD memory card in the camera to decide which ones to download or trash. You can see live images of your picture taking just like the LCD screen on the back of the camera only on your computer.
You might be interested to read about:
This computer live view will have the camera settings like ISO, f stop and white balance all changeable from the computer that will control the camera. You can also view the image on the computer screen before and after the shot to ensure perfect focus lighting and positioning of your subject.
This means no hassling with even the small 3 inch LCD but being able to see the picture at a size on your computer screen where you can really see how in focus and clear the images will look after the shot. You can also quickly and easily do some experimenting and learning by changing settings and seeing what happens to your subject right on your computer screen.
This is the perfect way to learn how to use your camera and what all those terms and functions will actually do to your picture when changed. You can read books and internet help sites all about what the changes will be for each setting on your camera but to see it live right when you have it set up means so much more and is so much easier to understand.
The EOS Utility makes taking pictures in a set environment like a studio so nice so you can learn more about your camera and how to take pictures. Once you see what the settings will do you can apply that knowledge to other situations so you will start to take better pictures.
The Canon EOS Rebel XSi is a next step up from the EOS Rebel XT and XTi that offers more to the amateur photographer that they will be able to use as they learn more about digital photography. You may not start to use all the functions and features of the EOS XSi but it is nice to have them when you are ready and the cost of the EOS Rebel XSi is well worth it with the features it offers.
The XSi has the larger pixel size for clearer sharper images, the Live View modes and the Image Stabilizing for better pictures when not using a tripod. The EOS Rebel XSi is about $$$$$$$$$$$$$650 when you purchase it with a lens depending on where you purchase it and what it comes with.
You can purchase the EOS Rebel XS for a little less and still get all the main functions of the better XSi but will not have the same size screen or megapixels. The Canon EOS Rebel XS is a less expensive version but not by all that much depending on where you purchase it.
A few words of caution if purchasing the EOS Rebel XSi or any Canon, heck anything for that matter, from a reputable website, dealer or source. Canon has put out a warning and I feel I have to as well that some people are selling counterfeit or knockoffs of their camera accessories that even have the Canon logo and words on them.
A few websites sell Canon batteries that fit the EOS Rebel XSi and other Canon cameras that are a knockoff and not from Canon. They will not have the same safety features and are less expensive than the ones Canon sells through reputable websites and dealers.
You can tell by the Canon logo not being clear and the hologram logo on the packaging but I have a better way, just buy from a reputable dealer or website. Do not buy batteries for your expensive camera from some auction house or small website when you are not sure they are genuine Canon or Canon certified.
These counterfeit batteries and other accessories will be much less in price but may end up costing you the price of your camera or other electronics due to faulty safety features or just lousy manufacturing of the knockoffs. Be safe and protect your investment by buying the real accessories that are designed for your electronics and pay the full price to be sure you get quality manufactured items.
I shop at stores like Newegg and have heard very good things about Circuit City as well but stores like Wal-Mart, Sears and Target are good places for your camera accessories as well. Do not buy the cheaper knockoff batteries these cameras take and risk the consequences of a damaged or unsafe battery ruining your electronics.
The Canon EOS Rebel XSi is a great camera and well worth the purchase, I have only scratched the surface of what my XSi can do and have enjoyed playing around with it so far. The Rebel XSi has a lot of the features of the more expensive Canon cameras and is definitely a professional piece of digital camera equipment.
I have had the Canon EOS Rebel XSi for almost two months and enjoy it very much and highly recommend the XSi for a great step up from point and shoot cameras.
The XSi has all the professional features of a good quality camera and is well worth the cost to help you take those professional looking pictures.
Bestselling Canon EOS Rebel XSi a First Impression Products in 2021
Canon Rebel XSi DSLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens (OLD MODEL)
- 12.2-megapixel CMOS sensor captures enough detail for poster-size, photo-quality prints
- Large 3.0-inch LCD display; includes Canon's EF-S 18-55mm, f3.5-5.6 IS zoom lens
- DIGIC III image processor provides fast, accurate image processing; improved Autofocus and framing rate
- EOS Integrated Cleaning system, plus Dust Delete Data Detection in included software
- Stores images on SD/SDHC memory cards (not included)
Canon EOS Rebel T6 Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm EF-S f/3.5-5.6 is II Lens + 58mm Wide Angle Lens + 2X Telephoto Lens + Flash + 48GB SD Memory Card + UV Filter Kit + Tripod + Full Accessory Bundle
- This Photo4Less Top Value Camera And Lens With USA Warranty and manufacturer's supplied Accessories Kit includes:
- Canon EOS Rebel T6 DSLR camera body -18-55mm EF-S f/3.5-5.6 is II lens - 58mm high definition wide angle lens & 58mm 2x professional telephoto lens
- Transcend 32GB SDHC Class 10 Flash Memory Card - Transcend 16GB SDHC Class 10 Flash Memory Card - Photo4less DC59 Camera Case P4L-CCS-30 - Photo Video Quality Tripod
- Digital DSLR auto power Slave flash - rs-60 remote switch for Canon - 3 piece UV filter kit (UV-cpl-fled) 58mm - high-speed SD USB card reader - 58mm ultraviolet UV protector filter - memory card wallet - LCD screen protectors (clear) - table top tripod - 3 piece cleaning kit - lens cap holder
- 18MP APS-C CMOS sensor DIGIC 4+ Image processor 3.0" 920K-dot LCD monitor full HD 1080P video recording at 30 fps 9-point AF with center cross-type point extended is 12800, 3 fps shooting built-in Wi-Fi with NFC scene intelligent auto mode Basic+ and creative auto modes
Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Telephoto Zoom Lens with 2X Telephoto Lens, HD Wide Angle Lens and Accessories (8 Piece Kit)
- This Photo4Less Top Value Lens Kit Includes: Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III Autofocus Lens with USA Warranty and manufacturer's supplied Accessories
- 58mm 2X Professional Telephoto Lens - High Definition 58mm Wide Angle Lens - 3 Piece Filter Kit (UV-CPL-FLD) 58mm - Lens Cap Holder - Vidpro Lens & Screen Cleaning Kit - Lens Pouch Medium (6 Inches)
- Lens Band Stop Zoom Creep for One Size Fits All Lens, Black - Photo 4 Less Camera and Lens Cleaning Cloth - 58mm Tulip Lens Hood
- 75-300mm telephoto zoom lens with f/4-5.6 maximum aperture for Canon SLR cameras, Improved mechanism makes zooming smoother; front part of zoom ring sports silver ring
- 4.9-foot closest focusing distance; 32- to 8-degree diagonal angle of view
Canon 9320A023 100ES Shoulder Bag, Black
- SLR camera bag has non-slip adjustable shoulder strap and carry handle
- Water-repellent, rugged nylon for durability and comfort
- Padded dividers for secure storage and easy access
- Holds 1 SLR camera body, 1 to 3 lenses plus accessories
- Inside measurement (W x H x D): 10 x 7 x 4 1/2 inches